Colon cancer facts
- Colorectal cancer is a malignanttumor arising from the inner wall of the large intestine.
- Colorectal cancer is the third leading cause of cancer in malesand fourth in females in the U.S.
- Risk factors for colorectal cancer include a family history of colorectal cancer, colon polyps, and long-standing ulcerative colitis.
- Most colorectal cancers develop from polyps. Removal of colon polyps can prevent colorectal cancer.
- Colon polyps and early cancer may have no symptoms. Therefore regular screening is important.
- Diagnosis of colorectal cancer can be made by barium enema or bycolonoscopy with biopsy confirmation of cancer tissue.
- Treatment of colorectal cancer depends on the location, size, and extent of cancer spread, as well as the health of the patient.
- Surgery is the most common treatment for colorectal cancer.
Please do not delay getting a colonoscopy today, tomorrow might be too late